Friday, 22 January 2016

Welcome to the jungle

Well, jungle that grew on nuclear waste judging by the colours! I went to the fabric sale with a mission of getting some plain colours but I just couldn't help myself... This intense exotic print just wouldn't leave me alone! And at $3 per meter I really had no excuse. I knew right away that it would be some sort of va va voom dress.

I went with pattern number 116 from Burda 4/2013. I used it to make my first dress ever (if you are interested here is the link to the post about my first sewn dress, in Polish) I used the bodice of this dress twice before as well - my halloween and christmas dress. I really thought I had this all sorted!

Unfortunately it didn't work as well as I thought it would. I think the fabric is rayon or poly-rayon twill. It has lot's of drape, it's quite lovely but it moves in every direction! Cutting was an issue!Sewing was manageable provided I used a lot of pins. I finished all the edges with bias binding - I love this clean look! I used bright green rayon thread for topstitching. My partner's uncle gave me a whole bag of those rayon threads and I decided it's time to start using them!

The back was sticking out so I added darts. It was easier that unpicking the zip and the binding. It doesn't really matter though as the dress turn out to be too tight! As you can see I can put it on and zip it but that's pretty much it. At this stage I can't really wear it as movement is very very restricted. I'm hoping I'll still be able to wear this dress soon if I manage to control my urge to eat chocolate ;) The interesting thing is that I cut the fabric for this dress and my Christmas dress the same day, the same pattern... The other dress fits very well, this one is too small. Grrr!


  1. That bias binding makes the inside look SO clean! I'm sorry that it doesn't fit :-/


Hello! Thank you for visiting me :)